This is the time of peak winter everywhere, In India its time of makar sankrant festival. This festival is celebrated all over India and has different names as per the regional effect like in north India its called "Lohri", In west and mid India its called "Sankrant" or "Uttaran", In east India it is called "Bihu" while in south India its celebrated as 'Pongal". Even though there are different names area-wise but common thing done during this festival to eat various preparation of sesame seeds. I belong to west India and here we make very famous and tasty preparation of sesame called "Gulachi Poli" or "Sesame Jaggery Pancake".
Research has proved that sesame seeds improve lipid profile in patients suffering with cardio-vascular diseases by decreasing LDL( Low density lipoprotein), Total Cholesterol and Triglycerides. Therefore it is good to heart patient to eat sesame seeds. Sesame seed is also known for its anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Coming back to the recipe,this is simple and yummy recipe which is liked by children and adults both. Eating this helps our body to maintain the warmth during winter.Try this recipe...........good for body and good on taste.........enjoy it...........
Dough: 1 Cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup refined wheat flour ( maida)
3 1/2 tsp vegetable oil (lukewarm)
milk to knead the dough. (lukewarm)
pinch of salt
Stuffing: 1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup Jaggery
2 tsp crushed dry fruits ( almond,walnut, cashew nuts,pistachio)
1 tsp Cardamon powder ( optional)
Pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
1. Mix the flour, add salt and oil. Mix them properly. Add milk as per requirement and knead a dough ( little thick than roti/nan dough). Keep the dough to rest for 2 hours.
2. Prepare Stuffing:
a) Roast the sesame seeds till get nice golden brown. Allow to cool it.
b) Grate the jaggery by grater
c) When the sesame seeds cool down , grind them in mixer ( consistency coarse)
d) Mix crushed sesame seeds, jaggery,dry fruit, cardomon and nutmeg powder.
e) Microwave the mixture for 20 seconds and then press them hard to make small round balls medium
3. After 2 hours, divide the dough into equal small parts. Now take one part of that dough make it into ball.
by using a roller and a clean platform, roll the ball into a small circle .
4. Place one round ball of stuffing onto that small circle and cover the stuffing ball from all sides by the dough
circle. Remove the extra dough after completely covering the stuffing.
5. Now roll that stuffed ball into medium sized circle/paratha/poli/pan cake ( like a pie crust or a pizza base)
6. Roast the stuffed circle/paratha/poli/ pan cake on skillet from both sides on medium heat. Add Ghee ( Clarified butter) on both the sides of circle/paratha/poli/ pan cake while roasting.
Best Accompanied by: Ghee ( Clarified butter) or milk.